Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Don't Throw Out the Manual Or and Inspiration from Dr. Who

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  (2Ti 3:16)

 Someone posted this short exchange from the Doctor Who, television series on Facebook today:

The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just
embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case, always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it...

Does this sound familiar? 

How often do we disregard the Word of God because we don't like what it has to say. Maybe that is why we don't read it as much as we should.

Someone has done something to me and I want to get even, but then I open up "The Manual" and I see, "Do not recompense evil for evil" (I Peter 3:9) or to "turn the other cheek" (Matt. 5:39). I don't like that advice. My fallen nature wants to get back at that person. I even convince myself that it is the most practical thing to do. That somehow the Lord of the Universe got it wrong. Jesus just didn't understand the way things really work. 

So, I get my revenge. Then the other person feels offended, and they respond in kind. Then I respond to that offense, and they respond to my response, and what could have stopped with a single offense becomes an interpersonal version of total warfare. And I find myself trying to fix this complicated machine called Life after I chucked the manual into the supernova because I disagreed with it.

Think about the arrogance that comes from disagreeing with God. When I say that I don't want to follow the clear direction of scripture, it is saying that my fallen, limited and flawed intellect is somehow superior to the pure, perfect and unlimited wisdom of almighty God. It's pretty stupid when you think about it.

Fortunately, you can find the manual anytime you want. Just pick up that Bible gathering dust on the shelf and begin reading. You will find it is much easier to perform repairs and preventative maintenance when you have the manual handy.

Lord, today, let me not forget that you are the creator, and you have given us, your creation, the guide to our own well being. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment